In our previous blog we covered many of the common myths surrounding asbestos and how this could potentially be a danger to your health. Here is the second part, with more misconceptions about the substance.

Myth: Asbestos is an immediate health hazard

It’s a common problem that someone will realise that they have asbestos in their home or workplace, and in a panic they will attempt to get rid of all traces of the substance as soon as they can. This is the wrong thing to do. In fact there is usually no reason to panic. If the asbestos is in good condition and has not been disturbed then it is currently not a threat to your health. You can call in professionals to survey the asbestos to see if it needs to be removed, as often it is safer for it to remain in place.

Myth: You would notice asbestos if it was in your home/place of work

Some people believe that they know what asbestos looks like, so they would already be aware if asbestos was present in their home or workplace. Unfortunately asbestos is contained in a huge range of materials. It can be found in some cements, artex and sprays that would be impossible to distinguish from those that do not contain asbestos just by looking at them. You need to have your home or workplace surveyed to be sure that no asbestos is present.

Myth: It’s rare to find asbestos these days

While asbestos itself was banned from use in 1999, there is still a large amount of the substance around. Any property that was built or renovated before 1999 could contain asbestos, and many do.

Myth: Medical science can treat asbestos now

Unfortunately while our understanding of asbestos has improved a great deal, there is still little that can be done if asbestos fibres are able to enter the lungs. Asbestos exposure over a long period of time can be very dangerous, so if you have any concerns you should get professionals in immediately.

Myth: Asbestos-related illnesses are contagious

Thankfully asbestos-related illnesses such as asbestosis and mesothelioma are not themselves contagious and cannot be ‘caught’. However, it is possible that someone who works around asbestos can inadvertently bring asbestos into contact with you as the fibres.